What would life be like "After"? -Book Review-
It took a lot of energy of mine in thinking whether to post the review about this book or not, but I have collected all my courage, going with my instincts to publish the review on this book series that i finished within just two weeks.
But, unfortunately I hated reading from the tab or even through my phone. I missed holding a book in my hands and reading. the obsession I have over physical book is something that's indescribable, hence i stopped halfway through. I had got the books ordered through an online store and had kept it for the right time to jump in. This vacation was not only the right time, but it was the best time to lose my thoughts on stressful things and get relaxed. So, started right in and was done with all 5 books of the series within 2 weeks.
When I said at the beginning that I had to gather all the courage to write the review, it was for a reason. You will know it when you read further. Ha ha. Not trying to act all weird and not trying to be judgmental too, but I think I will be judged for putting up a review like this, for sure and you'll know what, I don't care. This is my personal view on the book. 😊
I am one-directioner ever since their inauguration. Whatever that's involved with 1-D, I wouldn't miss, may it be a music video, an interview, their performances (Live), Fan made videos and what not. So couldn't and wouldn't miss this book too. Also another fun fact is that this book hit 1 billion reads online which in fact is a record. Especially for a fan-fiction on Wattpad, it's unimaginable to have that much online reads for a fiction as such. I guess major part of the credit should go for 1-D because it's their names that had drawn the attention of most of the readers to read the book to see how the characters have been showcased in the book. This book was a trend setter and a trade mark back then, because almost all the social media platforms had the images of this books with reviews after reviews, which again got the best of me to try reading after I get the physical book. But time, Where do I go for it, amidst the chaos of online lessons, school work, lesson preparations, examination paper setting etc. But here I am writing and presenting the review of the Book "After" which was the favorite of most, I guess I am too late, but never mind, there are people out there who haven't read it yet. 😻
Hardin Scott- Harry Styles, Zed Evans - Zayn Malik, Landon Gibson - Liam Payne, Nate - Niall Horan and Logan - Louis Tomlinson.
This series consisted 5 books named, "After", "After We Collided", "After We fell", "After Ever Happy", "Before". The Author of the book is Anna Todd, who herself started as a reader on Wattpad and literally ended up as a fiction writer on Wattpad, due to the super duper hit of the book, she started publishing and doing sequels of the same.
Plot - A young girl named Theresa Young, being brought up by a single mother, is driven by an already destined ambition and direction towards her future, moves to the city for her higher studies. Whilst trying to adapt herself to the new college, freshman dorm, her new room mate and her friends, she falls heads over heels in love with her roommate's friend, who is witty and rude. What sort of consequences awaits her future and what decision would drive her towards her ambition? Is she going to take love over her career or either way is the question and the remaining plot. I just don't want to give away much, the rest is for you to enjoy (may be).
What most of the reviews would start with is by stating their favorites and love on the lead characters. Either people would praise the entire characters that appear in the book or at least only the leads. I am going to contradict, I am going to bring in a twist to the review, and this is the 1st time I am going to state something like this, because I have never hated the lead characters in any of the books that I have read so far. This is the first time, and I hope that this is the last time too. I hated Tessa Young and Hardin Scott to the core. The hatred is indescribable and unimaginable. 😑😑😑
On the other hand, Hardin Scott is annoying, bizarre, wicked, rude, clinger, psychopathic, cocky, aggressive, hot tempered, dark, crazy as shit. In their relationship, it's as if Hardin is the feminine and Tessa takes the upper hand always and acts all masculine. To be honest, it's Hardin who is more pathetic than Tessa.
The plot after a certain point is just the repetition. Hardin does something awful that's unforgivable, they get in to an awful and heated argument, get separated, Hardin returns and asks for another chance, the kindest soul Tessa agrees and gives him a chance, gets back and the cycle repeats. This getting back and forth repetition is what made me sick by the end of the book and I wondered whether all relationships were of this nature. As assumed, When you read the plot most of you guys would have guessed it would be of this nature, as the series have 5 books. This is not the best of writing, but nevertheless the worst. I have read the worsest of the books too, which to be honest, I have put them down and even tried tearing them down into bits and pieces which cannot be bound back into an original form.
There's no originality, uniqueness or even personality added to this book as it's the same old story somewhat. You'll might wonder why I am writing a review on the book where I hated all the characters the most. I think I have been mean while describing the characters according to my point of view. But here I am mentioning that I have read all 5 books within 2 weeks. (each book at least having 600 pages). You'll might think and ask why I didn't stop reading. That's the whole point here. Even though I have this stereotypical perspective to the plot, the writing didn't allow me to put the book down, not even for a moment. It was like watching a nasty scene like thousands of people dying in a natural disaster, where I was meant to not watch, but still I watch inquisitively. This book is nasty, where the leads continuously do nasty stuff to each other to get the worst out of each other, but I still didn't get a chance to put the book down. You don't see certain things coming in the book and I guess that's what kept me reading the book even after hating Hardin and Tessa. The climax of the book/ending of the book, unexpected for all the buildup that was created at the 4th book starting. Never knew that was coming towards, yet it just came BOOM!
There's a lot of influence from other well known literature in this series, as both Hardin and Tessa are English majors and works in publishing. Lines like, "Nothing can change the way I feel about you", "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same" from Wuthering Heights, these were used frequently to make a point, but till date I didn't understand what points they were focusing on by mentioning the above over and over again.
I have watched the movies too, which was taken based on these books. What I hate about movies that are based on the books is that not all scenes that are in the book can be contained in the movie. Some of the most emotional and important scenes would be missing in the movie. This after series movies are a huge disappointment!😞😞😞 Want to know why? Because OMG, the movies are so messed up, One scene from somewhere is connected to another scene from another part of the book. The most tensed part of the book ain't shot for the movie, for god knows what reason. I most probably think because of the time constraints. Unlike Indian movies, the run time of Hollywood movies are maximum 1 hour and 45 minutes and they try covering most of the parts of the book, but most of the times fail to input the most breathtaking scenes from the book! But there are a lot of people who loved the movie too. Again perspective differs. I guess the audience who appreciated the movie were the one's who hadn't read the books. If you had read the movie, then definitely you'd agree with me. Also another disturbing part about the movie is that, the characters keep changing, this I found only in this movie. The faces aren't constant. The third sequel is yet to come next month, yet already a few new faces are replacing the characters, which I think is a shame! But no matter what, regardless of all this, i am still anxiously waiting to watch the next three movies of the series. Ha Ha, crazy ain't I?? I know, I am like that only! 😮😕😌



Glad that I found someone who agrees with my perspective. It's very rare to find someone who'd only appreciate the writing but absolutely hates the characters. I guess we are unique kinds. Ha ha. :)
ReplyDelete